Monday, February 15, 2010

On Wonder

My daughter is enamored with the couples figure skating in the Olympics. She's been loving watching the couples as they go around the rink, twirling, lifting, and spinning. She was enamored when the men hurled the women into the air and spun before successfully landing one-footed. Every couple she saw she said, "They must be married!" because of how romantic the music was and because of the intimate behavior. (Of course, my prude of a daughter also freaked out about the immodest clothing ...)

In any case, as she was watching today, I just had to take some pictures of her expression. Some of the photos are a little fuzzy, but you can still see the sense of wonder in her eyes. Later, she cuddled up next to me and said, "I want to ice skate, Dad! I want to go to the Olympics!" I'm pretty sure we can pull off the first, but the second would be up to her ...

Couples ice skating is a favorite for my whole family. Tonight, as we were contemplating what to teach the kids for Family Home Evening, my wife had a brilliant idea. She quoted Proverbs 3:5-6, where it reads:

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

She likened this unto how we've had to be particularly sensitive to the direction of the Spirit in our decision-making this past week as we decided to home school our oldest son. She then went on to compare how our trust in the Lord needs to be like the trust of the women in the couples figure skating of their partner when they are lifted into the air. It was a very topical discussion, and the kids, I think, appreciated the message. I don't know that they will be any more prone to trusting the Lord, but they certainly get that ice skaters need to trust each other!

No comments:

Click here to see the full blog.