Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Cucumber Princess

My daughter, just under six-years-old, is a funny little one. Last night for dinner, my wife cut up half of a ten-inch cucumber into roughly 1/8 inch slices and set them on the table as part of the meal. Also on the menu were grilled cheese sandwiches, grapes, and a few leftovers from the refrigerator.

My daughter, unexpectedly, decided she didn't want the grilled cheese sandwiches -- wouldn't touch them -- and she eyed the cucumber slices warily. This surprised us, as she's normally really into cucumbers. We reminded her of this, but she just said, "Not today."

Well, with nothing on her plate, the rest of the family started eating. Soon, though, she snuck one cucumber off the serving plate in front of her. Then another, and another. Before we knew it, the entire plate of cucumbers was empty. I had managed to snare three slices before they were gone.

My wife was undisturbed by this, and got up to slice the remaining half of the cucumber. She came back, extracted three of them from the plate -- two for her, and one for our younger son (who didn't touch it) -- and proceeded with the rest of her dinner. Again, before we knew it, the plate was completely empty! My older son hadn't even had one single slice.

Since she consumed nearly the entire cucumber by herself, I was somewhat concerned that she had a mis-balanced meal (which she clearly did), but my wife and I just ended up laughing about it. Makes me wonder, though, what does a ten-inch cucumber do to a little person's constitution? My wife will find out today while I'm at work, and I'm expecting a report.

No comments:

Click here to see the full blog.