Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Marvelous Saturn

The Cassini spacecraft was launched in 1997 out of Florida. A behemoth spacecraft, it took seven years to get to Saturn, flying by Venus (twice!), Earth, and Jupiter on it's way. Since 2004, it's been orbiting Saturn and producing stunning images. Over the last few years, I've been collecting them as I find them, and I wanted to share some of them with you here. In my opinion, many of these are frame-worthy and rival even the finest Ansel Adams. You can click on any of the pictures for a higher resolution image. Note: I do not work on the Cassini project, my working world is Mars.

The following picture is of Titan, Saturn's largest moon, as seen behind the rings of Saturn.


This next one shows one of Saturn's smaller moons, Epimetheus, floating as a little spot just outside the rings.


This is one of my favorites, and shows just how fine and delicate the rings of Saturn really are.


This is the most recent one I've collected. It's a much larger shot and shows the shadow that the rings make on the planet.

No comments:

Click here to see the full blog.