Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Dog House

My oldest son slammed his door shut on me, which he knows I really don't like. I spent 10 seconds glaring at him with a red face then walked away shaking my head (no shouting! wa hoo!). My youngest son was in the bathroom and he asked me what was wrong.

"Nothing. Your brother's in the dog house, that's all."

"What dog house?" he asks.

"Not an actual dog house. He's just in trouble."

"What kind of dog house?" he persists.

"Its not a real dog house!" I say. "It means he's in trouble."

"Oh," he says, clearly not understanding.

You know, we really do have a lot of strange expressions in the English language. It's amazing that any child learns to speak ... a miracle of the finest sort. Kids are awesome.

No comments:

Click here to see the full blog.