Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Movie Review: 10,000 B.C.

I saw some previews about this movie, and it looked like something I'd kind of dig, so I put it way down my priority list for watching with the thought I'd get to it "eventually." Well, my wife and I have been frequenting Redbox recently because we usually just want a DVD for a day, it's convenient, and Blockbuster is too pricey for "casual" renting. The other day, we were looking to rent a movie, my wife knew I wanted to see it, and Redbox just happened to have it, so she got it, fully knowing it was a "guy" movie.

Well, it most certainly was a "guy" movie. I knew it wasn't historically accurate (despite presenting itself as being so), but I also knew it was from a director that I actually really like -- Roland Emmerich. He had directed such movies as The Day After Tomorrow, Godzilla, and Independence Day; so I was willing to give this one a shot.

During the movie, we ended up turning closed-captioning on so we could understand the words that were often delivered in a muddled or heavily-accented fashion -- you really had to pay attention to connect the logical dots in the story. Nevertheless, I did really enjoy it. It was an active, energetic film that I thought was well-crafted. I was also extremely pleased that there wasn't a single swear word or sex scene, the latter being particularly astonishing given how it could have been added to provide greater "historical" accuracy. It had it's measure of violence, but it made sense given the story, it wasn't gratuitous, and it was quite tame by today's "television" standards.

All in all, I liked it. I'd give it a solid 3 of 4 stars, with an emphasis that you should probably see it once.

No comments:

Click here to see the full blog.