Thursday, August 21, 2008

Thursday Randoms

A few random things today:

-- I made an amazing discovery on how to get an almost-9-year-old to stop throwing a tantrum: Get the camera and record it, then threaten to put it on the internet. Seriously, it works!
-- My daughter has formed a "band" club at school. It's not really a "band" club, as it is a few girls that get together, make up silly lyrics to bizarre songs and thoughts, and put them to really bad, made-up tunes. She's loving it, though!
-- My wife is planning to take a breather from working on Thursday nights. She teaches cake decorating classes and does very well, and has been doing it for years. However, lately she's been feeling overwhelmed by life in general, and since the classes have been poorly attended of late due to a change in the advertising, she is feeling like it isn't worth her time anymore. As an outlet through which she can find adult interaction, it was something she has enjoyed, with varying levels of satisfaction. I will support her in whatever she decides to do, but I would be dishonest if I didn't say that I looked forward to having her around one more night a week.
-- The other day I was driving home from my daughter's soccer practice, and was filled with gratitude. I was grateful my daughter is well enough to play soccer, my oldest son is able to ride a bicycle, my youngest son was so happy and just said, "I love you, Daddy" completely out of nowhere. I was grateful that I had a car that works and gets decent gas mileage (32 mpg!). I was grateful for my incredible wife who loves me, is devoted to me, and works so very hard to keep our family life in order. I was grateful for my own health, that I have a good job that is stable, pays well, and has good benefits. I was grateful that my Heavenly Father loves me enough to give me all of these things. This stuff just came to my mind suddenly and unexpectedly, and I felt a tightness in my chest of extreme gratitude as I drove. I think I'm getting soft in my old age.

A few news-related items:

-- John McCain and Barack Obama are supposedly close to announcing their vice presidential running mates for the 2008 presidential race. The whole country is in a frenzy.
-- The Olympics rock. I don't think I've ever enjoyed them as much as I've enjoyed them this year. The swimming was spectacular (thanks to Michael Phelps, human fish), the gymnastics was riveting (thanks to Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin), the track and field events have been astonishing (thanks to the grandstanding, arrogant, and low-flying plane Usain "Lightning" Bolt), the BMX racing is freakin' awesome (who cares who wins? it's just fun to watch!), and everything from the diving to fencing has been delightful. I've loved being able to watch video online at the nbcolympics.com website.
-- Apparently the Iranians want to build a man-rated rocket (here and here). God help us all.
-- Apparently, a stillborn baby was pronounced dead, put in a cooler, and was found alive! Nobody knows if it will live very long, but it's a true miracle.
-- Finally, there's something familiar about this ...


Check out the brief here. Turns out crash-splattings of UFO-like objects sorta all look alike ... check out this other one here.

No comments:

Click here to see the full blog.