Friday, January 18, 2008

A Dumb Thing That Matters A Lot To Me


See this? It's a picture of my parking tag at work from 2007. It's crazy, but this is one of the most important perks I have at work. Where I work, parking is in insanely short supply, and our security personnel manage the parking privileges like they were 10th-century monks guarding their few copies of the Bible.

To be able to park on the facility itself, rather than in one of the not-so-near parking facilities, is a privilege that is revoked from employees at the first sneeze of rebellion. A co-worker of mine was literally fired a few years back for having an argument with security over parking matters.

So it is that I cherish my parking hang-tag. The bad part about it, though, is that it is a temporary tag. It's only good for one year and at the end of the year, it must be renewed ... but only if I continue to earn the "high performer" status. Since the process whereby I earn this status is entirely a mystery to me, I sweat at the beginning of every new year, wondering if I'm going to get a new hang-tag.

Happily, I got one for 2008, so I'm good for another year. Now I just have to avoid the monks -- er, Security -- so I can keep the parking tag.

No comments:

Click here to see the full blog.