Saturday, December 8, 2007

Getting Fit

There was a time when I could sneeze and lose five pounds. Those times are clearly over. While I've never been exactly "fit", I have been quite healthy and physically able. Now in my late early thirties, I have difficulty dropping the pounds as easily as I once did. However, several years ago, we bought a treadmill and I used it well to train for a 5k race. I did well at the time, but really haven't been dedicated since. Unfortunately, it shows.

But now things have changed. My wife and I are planning a trip to Hawaii next April to celebrate our 10th anniversary, and I find myself in the unenviable position of needing to drop a few pounds. Okay, I'll be honest, I could stand to lose 10 or 15, and, well, probably more. But the beaches call me, and I want my wife to be able to look at her man and be reminded why she married this studly, pale-skinned, hairy, short ... um, well, okay, never mind all that -- she didn't marry me for my body.

As for Hawaii, I really just don't want my belly hanging out too much. So, I'm back on the treadmill again ... tonight I did 2.2 miles and burned 342 calories. For a desk jockey, that ain't too shabby! It's going to be a long four months.

No comments:

Click here to see the full blog.